Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June 19th At Dusk


Front porch sittin'
Beer bottle sweatin' (ain't we all...)
Tides a-turnin'

Just me, here, in the dark,
that I can see, anyway.

But if I listen, there's me
and all the people closed up
in their little boxes all around,
air conditioners hummin' away.
There's them, too.

Oh, then there's me and that whip-poor-will
up there on the bluff, in the woods to the south.
He really, really knows what he wants.
I'd like to ask him how he's so sure of himself.
There's him, too.

And if I listen even a bit more closely,
well, there's me and my heart.
When it screams I don't listen, but
tonight it whispers and I can hear.
There's that, too.

Just me and them,
him and that,
front porch sittin'
beer bottle sweatin'
tides a-turnin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment